Blackmores Pregnancy and Breastfeeding Gold
Blackmores Pregnancy & Breast-Feeding Gold is a premium pregnancy multivitamin that's been specially formulated to support optimal intake of the essential vitamins, minerals and oils a woman requires during pregnancy and breast-feeding.
Features and benefits:
One capsule per day provides:
- Iodine to supportbaby's normal brain development, eyesight and hearing.
- Folic Acid to support healthy development of baby's nervous system - especially during the early stages of pregnancy
- Tuna oil to support baby's healthy brain and visual development. Blackmores regulary test tuna oil for mercury to ensure you can take Blackmores with confidence.
- Vitamin D3 to support calcium absorption and baby's healthy bone development
- Overall multivitamin support with 17 nutrients including 10 vitamins, 6 minerals including iron and calcium, omega-3 fatty acids
How it works:
Blackmores Pregnancy and Breast-Feeding Formula provides folic acid to support women's optimal intake of this important nutrient. Folic acid supports the healthy development of baby's nervous system.Folic Acid supplements should be taken in conjunction with a healthy diet. NB: see note on Folic Acid in the precautions.
Iodine supports normal healthy thyroid function, growth and development and adequate levels of iodine help support a healthy pregnancy.Iodine also supports baby's brain, eyesight and hearing development.
Vitamin D3 is both a hormone and a vitamin. Vitamin D3 is consumed in the diet and also synthesised by the action of sunlight on cholesterol in the skin and so became known as the sunshine vitamin. Vitamin D3 is best known for its ability to stimulate the absorption of calcium and phosphate from the small intestine and decrease urinary excretion of calcium thus improving bone density and strength. In Blackmores Pregnancy & Breast-Feeding Gold, it supports calcium absorption and bone health for both mother and baby.
Recent research has shown that omega-3 long chain fatty acids are essential for babies' health. DHA - the main long chain fatty acid in breast milk and also present in tuna oil - is particularly important to support the normal healthy functioning of baby's brain and nerves and for development of normal eyesight.
Adults: Take 2 capsules daily with food, or as professionally prescribed.
- If you have had a baby with a neural tube defect you should seek specific medical advice.
- Iodine may interfere with treatment for thyroid conditions.
- Consult your healthcare professional before use if being treated for thyroid diease.
- If taking tetracycline or quinolone antibiotics, bisphosphonates (osteoporosis drugs), thyroid hormone, methyldopa, carbidopa or levodopa or penicillamine separate doses by at least 2 hours.
- Calcium, magnesium, zinc and iron may decrease absorption and efficacy of these medications.
A Note on Folic Acid & Pregnancy Multivitamin Formulas:
The NZ Ministry of Health (MOH) restricts the amount of folic acid available in non-pharmacy nutritional supplements to 300mcg. Some sources, including the MOH's own guidelines, indicate that a higher daily intake (e.g. 600-800mcg plus) of Folic Acid is more appropriate, especially in the early stages of pregnancy.
Each Capsule Contains:
- Fish oil - natural (Tuna oil) 500mg
- containing omega-3 marine triglycerides 160mg as:
- Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)125mg
- Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) 25mg
- Vitamin B1 (Thiamine nitrate) 500mcg
- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 750mcg
- Nicotinamide 7.5mg
- Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine hydrochloride) 750mcg
- Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin) 1.5mcg
- Folic acid 250mcg
- Vitamin E 5.2IU
- (d-alpha-Tocopherol 3.5 mg)
- Vitamin C (Ascorbic acid) 30mg
- Vitamin D3 360IU
- (Cholecalciferol 9μg)
- Mixed carotenoids 2.88mg
- (as Dunaliella salina(natural source) extract equiv. to fresh cell 72mg)
- Calcium 59mg
- Phosphorus 45.6mg
- (as calcium hydrogen phosphate anhydrous 200mg)
- Magnesium 30mg
- (as magnesium oxide - heavy 49.8mg)
- Iron 5mg
- (as ferrous fumarate 15.7mg)
- Zinc 8mg
- (as zinc sulfate monohydrate 22.2mg)
- Iodine 125mcg
- (as potassium iodide 164mcg)