Blackmores Lyp-sine contains the amino acid lysine, which reduces the number of outbreaks of cold sores and reduces healing time of lesions. Lysine also relieves the severity of symptoms of cold sores such as: itching, burning and pain. Also contains vitamin C adn zinc for the healing of lesions.
Lysine has been found to be active against the herpes virus in vitro, as it is able inhibit the metabolism of arginine - an amino acid required by the virus for replication. Supplementation with lysine should be accompanied by a diet high in foods rich in lysine (such as vegetables, legumes, fish, sprouts and dairy products), and avoiding foods rich in arginine (such as chocolate, nuts, oats, carob, coconut and soya beans).
Clinical studies have shown that zinc supplementation leads to a reduction in the frequency, severity and duration of herpes outbreaks, and it is believed that this is due to the role that zinc plays in enhancing cell mediated immunity. Vitamin C is essential in the formation of collagen (for connective tissue in the skin), and along with zinc plays an important role in the healing of wounds and the synthesis of collagen.WarningsMay be dangerous if taken in large amounts of for a long time.
Active ingredients per tablet:
- Lysine hydrochloride 500mg; Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) 250mg; Zinc amino acid chelate 50mg,† (equiv. to zinc 10mg).
- Dose for risk reduction: One to two tablets per day.
- Dose for management of outbreak: Two tablets, two times per day.
- Children 6-12 years Take one tablet per day, or as professionally prescribed.
- Children under 6 years: As professionally prescribed.
- If symptoms persist see your healthcare professional.